Case of the Month

• January 2019
    January 2019 by Dr. John Bunkers Please Note:This website is best viewed with the latest versions of all browsers. If you are having issues viewing this, or…
  1. Carol
  2. Uncategorized
  3. Tuesday, 31 January 2017
Hi,

I am looking into buying a new pan/ceph machine, maybe adding 3d if needed. Went to a tradeshow at my local dental convention and the reps were really pushing the icat. They're saying the exposure of radiation is less than a traditional 2d ceph, but I can't see how that's possible when you're scanning their entire head. Reps were also saying that 3d ceph is the way things are going. If we're buying a $200K machine, then we'd really need to maximize its capability and get more into airway/sleep management, more implants, etc. I think 2d is fine and definitely easier on the pocket. Any advice?
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Dr Perry E. Jones Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Carol,
No question, 3D ceph hands down beats a 2D ceph! I own Mobile Imaging Solutions,LLC. We have a New Tom VGi. The New Tom is the only CBCT made to be used with mobile imaging. Our MIS cephalometric "Study" features file merge of extra-oral soft-tissue scan, intraoral Element scan and New Tom scan. The Study provides full cephalometric information as well as precise soft-tissue analysis. Think about it, the data offers a 3D view! That's amazing! Not just ceph information but precise evaluation of roots, impacted teeth, pathology, etc! As I see and read more and more 3D CBCT imagining is is unbelievable what I have found that I simply could not see with traditional 2D imaging!
Be very careful with the claims of reps who sell something. The iCat for example does have a very low radiation mode BUT that mode does not produce readable quality imaging! Because CBCTs are often different, it is difficult to make comparisons. The bset data I have seen confirms that the New Tom VGi is hands down the least radiation exposure CBCT. I have attached a table of Microsievert data for the VGi. Its remarkable, 2D traditional panorex average exposure is equal to a 15x15cm field of view for an adult!! Again as you can see, the exposure varies by type of imaging and FOV.

I can send you the references to comparison iCat to New TomVGi.CBCT imaging is much more complex that simply "taking" a CT! Our "studies" by comparison to other imaging centers are stellar!! You can easily see the difference!

First I suggest you check out what is available in your area for CBCT imaging, especially the quality of the "Study", orthodontic, airway, endodontic, implant, thirds, TMJ, etc. Many scan centers simply hand you a CD and you are left to figure it out! That is NOT the case with Mobile Imaging Solutions.

If you wish more information on the VGi please let me know and I'll send you more!!

Attached you will find the dosimetry data I referenced.

Best,

Perry E. Jones, DDS, MAGD, IADFE
Attachments (1)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.
Cron Job Starts