Case of the Month

• January 2019
    January 2019 by Dr. John Bunkers Please Note:This website is best viewed with the latest versions of all browsers. If you are having issues viewing this, or…
Votes
Undo
  1. Sonya Thomas-Webb
  2. Uncategorized
  3. Friday, 09 March 2018
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Dr Perry E. Jones Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Most practitioners do not use a drill (high speed handpiece) to perform routine IPR. Of the very long list of orthodontists in the dental literature only one suggests interproximal reduction with a "drill". That is Jack Sheridan. He claims to be able to gain 8mm per arch using IPR with high speed burs. The minimum thickness of the very thinnest highspeed bur is 0.3mm. That makes conservative values such as 0.2mm and 0.3mm impossible.

That said, I have one very rare occasion found the bur an effective tool when I need to remove certain enamel prominence.

Jack's son was a student of mine when he was in the controversial "residency" program at Jacksonville University associated with Lazarro's OCA program. Jack's son shared with me that patients complained of food impaction in posterior teeth given the difficulty closing IPR generated flat surface contacts! Avoid POSTERIOR IPR according to the ortho literature!!

Drill IPR makes flat contacts especially posterior IPR!

IPR is best performed on triangular shaped anterior teeth as their contact surface is easily accessible and easy to reshape to create an ideal ovoid contact! The ortho literature is heavily weight to this opinion!

Perry
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Uncategorized
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.
Cron Job Starts